Sunday, December 04, 2005

The butt was real; no padding required

Background Noise: 'bucks
Last Visited: references for this post, once again
Random Thought: now i remember why developing in webpages sucked.
Mood: i hate it when i accidentally close the wrong tab and loose my almost-finished post. grr. yawn.

I have to give the San Francisco Opera credit for the fake snow that was showered on the steps leading up to the Opera house last night; what could be more perfect than seeing the Nutcracker on a snowy winter's night? Granted, it's neither winter nor snowy here, but the tiny foam flakes were effective - even a few of the adults had to be told by their children that the snow couldn't possibly be real.

      

I've also convinced myself that i spotted Amanda Schull a.k.a Jody Sawyer in Center Stage in the Sugar Plum Fairy's corps of flowers. Though, admittedly, we were sitting in the very last row of the very last balcony, so i can't be entirely sure.

The San Francisco Ballet did a credible job with the Nutcracker, but it seemed to lack the excitement of the other versions i've seen. This production was more about pantomime than ballet - the whole first act had very little actual dancing, and the second act didn't feel as... special, for lack of a better word. Clara didn't dance at all which was very disappointing. I would probably recommend the Baryshnikov or Great Performances: Royale Ballet versions of the ballet to those who have never seen it before first.

     

Though, none of this really matters because I will probably always prefer the Nutcracker Suite from the 1940 Fantasia, it's nice to see the live ballet every once and a while. (For "while" read "several years"). Now if i can only talk people into going to Swan Lake with me....

Especially now that i finally have an outfit that i feel comfortable wearing to the Opera house. I finally found a pair of cream pants and a cream shrug that i can wear with a variety of camisoles and (of course) my fabulous zappos shoes. Though i was a bit worried i'd look like a giant marshmellow or creampuff or something equally saccharine, i think it actually is a fairly lovely outfit. What a happy bonus for the whole ballet outting. I wasn't going to go shopping but i discovered yesterday morning that Sir Puff has been using my good black pants as a bed for the last whoever knows how long to they were pretty much ruined - or ruined until i can get them to the dry cleaners.

Expression:

2 Comments:

Blogger turlie said...

You probably did see Amanda, I use to see alot when she moved to SF - she use to live across the street from me. She is very nice and very friendly, I use to run into her over at Arlequine over on Hayes Street in the garden. She's really good friends with one of my old friend Megan Low, but I actually first met her at an old friends retirement party back in 99, Evelyn Cisneros actually introduced her to me, i believe she had just joined the company that season as a apprentice.....

9:14 AM  
Blogger Jane said...

hi turlie! :) i didn't know you had a blog... or a secret name... or knew mine... :) but i'm so glad you do!

[...and here's me trying to be cool and not squee about how cool it is you know who you know....]

10:13 AM