Monday, December 12, 2005

Play it again, Sam

Background Noise: My Favorite Things, Supremes
Last Visited:Barenaked for the Holidays
Random Thought: Christmas music is more palatable when cut with some good oldies
Mood: jamin' to BNL

Why is it so hard to build a good Christmas / Holiday music playlist? One that is complete enough and deep enough to keep one plesantly in the holy-jolly mood without driving one completely mental?

So last year around January, after way too much christmas music i finally got fed up with the holiday cheer when my itunes library kept playing that caroling stuff when i hit random. So to get back at itunes for being too random (instead of just unchecking all of my christmas stuff) i deleted everything i could find that was even related to the holiday season.

It was heaven.

For about 11 months.

Until i actually wanted to hear the cheesy and the touchy feely and the holly and the jolly.

And i've had to rebuild my holiday music selection.

Let me tell you, it's not easy. Especially when the good playlists are the ones defined by the random, the off the beaten path if you will. I'm finally making some headway - i have my Harry for the Holidays, my Michael Buble sampling, my BNL (of course), the Chimpmunks, Burl Ives, The Pogues, the Temptations, Jimmy Eat World, DMB, U2, The teeny boppers, The Supremes. I'm tracking down December by George Winton and the Velveteen Rabbit. I kept most of the Love Actually soundtrack, so i have the fun version of "All I Want For Christmas," and i really like the Many Moore version of "God Only Knows," which i suppose doesn't really count as holiday music, but that leads me into my point...

... that Christmas music is more palatable when cut with some like-themed but not necessarily so overt holiday fare. Oldies work well, like Build me Up Bettercup, Sugar Pie Honey Bunch, Save the Last Dance For Me, How Sweet It is, All You Need is Love, Fairy Tale of New York, My Favorite Things, Footprints, and Cannon in D by George Winton. I really like the odder takes on standards, though for the life of me i can't think of any exactly at the moment. Random comedy is good too, like Steve Martin's 5 Wishes for Christmas.

Which seems to be my problem: i only know my favorite christmas music when i hear it, and chances are, i'm not hearing what i want on my local radio station, hence the need to build back my library, hence my issue.

At least i'm making progress. Always making progress.

Expression:

1 Comments:

Blogger Jane said...

Why am i still here? it's after 6! i'm sick! i've been wanting to leave since before lunch but here i am in my chair.

I have a problem.

I'm outta here, later!

6:08 PM